This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

3% Additional Stampduty (Own BTL property)

maahadevan
3% Additional Stampduty (Own BTL property)

Postby maahadevan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi,

I own a property in Northern Ireland and it has consent to let and is rented out. I have moved to England last year and since then have been living here in a rented property. I intend to buy a new residence which will be my primary residence and getting mixed messages from solicitors on the Stampduty that I am having to pay. Can you please advise if I still need to pay the higher stamp duty or will it be the standard stamp duty.

Thanks,
Mahadevan

RMC

Re: 3% Additional Stampduty (Own BTL property)

Postby RMC » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes, the additional 3% stamp duty does apply. If it did not, landlords could avoid it by buying an investment property before home.purchase.

maahadevan

Re: 3% Additional Stampduty (Own BTL property)

Postby maahadevan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks RMC for your response.

The reason why I am asking is due the previous posts in this forum which mentions about Finance Act -
FA 2003 Schedule 4ZA paragraph 3(5) is not satisfied as para 3(6) is satisfied (ie you will be replacing your sole/main residence and thus the 3% SDLT charge does not apply

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”