This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

3% penal stamp tax on second home

george price
3% penal stamp tax on second home

Postby george price » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:10 am

I am buying a home with jointly with my fiance completion next week. We will get married nest year in August 2017.
I had bought a small buy to let flat quite some time ago to kickstart a pension, being self employed, therefore, I will be considered for the 3% penal stamp duty as second home buyer.
However, my fiance is not a home owner, therefore would she be liable for a share of the 3% penal stamp duty or is it that as 50% joint ownership, I would only have to pay half the 3% penal stamp tax ie 1.50% and my fiance will not have to pay anything?

Thanks

section 44

Re: 3% penal stamp tax on second home

Postby section 44 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:03 pm

As you and your fiancé are buying together you both be liable for the additional 3% stamp duty land tax

george price

Postby george price » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, it seems somewhat unfair that my fiance being a first time buyer has to also jointly pay half of the 3 % penal stamp duty applicable to second homes due to becoming joint owner.

JRG

Postby JRG » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:48 am

If the house you're buying is worth more than the flat you've got you could sell the flat, then buy the house, then buy another flat.
Note: Do proper costings because it wouldn't be worth doing if the flat selling & buying fees exceed what you'd pay in the 3% penal stamp duty.

Return to “General”