This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

A quick check on Inheritance Tax understanding

RoseBatton
A quick check on Inheritance Tax understanding

Postby RoseBatton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:02 pm

This will most likely be a very basic question but I just wanted to double check my findings before I move on accepting it as I find it..

If there is more than one beneficiary mentioned in a will, and those beneficiaries are all children of the deceased, does the inheritance tax introduction still start at £325k and not £425k. Is that correct? So for instance three daughters inheriting £350k from their mother in total, would still have to pay 40% on £25k

I bring this up as on gov.uk website it says, 'If you give away your home to your children or grandchildren, your threshold will increase to £425,000' now in that £350k I mentioned, a house has been included which obviously helps make the figure what it is. Which might it be in my/our case, the £325k or the £425?

Many thanks

AnthonyR

Re: A quick check on Inheritance Tax understanding

Postby AnthonyR » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

The basic Nil Rate Band that everyone gets is £325,000.

On top of that a person may qualify for up to a further £100,000 Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB) if they leave their home to their children (or grandchildren). If they have downsized or sold (moving into care etc) if they leave the sum resulting from sale or downsizing to their children this will also qualify.

So if the family home (or proceeds) is left to children/grandchildren (assuming it's worth more than £100,000) then the total nil rate band will be £425,000, if not then £325,000.

The other question to look at is if there was a transferable nil rate band available from a spouse which may help the situation.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”