This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Advise please

davcoglue
Advise please

Postby davcoglue » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Hello, situation is as follows.

My brother gets a 150k loan on his mortgage to help me out. After 10yrs I can pay the loan plus interest accumulated from mortgage company. About 220k in total. My brother is a very high earner so needs to keep his income down. Are we right in thinking the interest on the loan will be classed as income for my brother even though it is what the mortgage company charge? If so this will push his earnings way to high.
If this is the case how do we avoid the interest being a income for my brother?

Many thanks

pawncob

Re: Advise please

Postby pawncob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 pm

If there's sufficient evidence that he borrowed the funds to lend to you, and the repayment only covers the interest paid, then it should be available for offset.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:31 pm

If there's sufficient evidence that he borrowed the funds to lend to you, and the repayment only covers the interest paid, then it should be available for offset.
What provision covers this scenario? s370 charges tax on the full amount of interest arising.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Can't quote provision, and I agree it seems taxable.But some years ago I agreed with an Inspector that such an act could be treated as a business and he allowed it.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:47 pm

I'd say it would be nigh on impossible to argue that a singe loan to a family member could possibly be regarded as a trade. FCA regsitration is required for starters.

Return to “General”