This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

AiA on a van purchase

andye
AiA on a van purchase

Postby andye » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi I am a sole trader not VAT registered and wish to purchase a van outright no lease no hire no hp so my tax bill is about £2.500.00p a year and I want to purchase a van for say £8000 so my question is do I enter £8000 on my tax return in the AIA box or would I claim £2000 for the next 4 years

thanks in advance for your help

pawncob

Re: AiA on a van purchase

Postby pawncob » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:03 pm

It's your choice. You can't claim it after the first year, except as a writing down allowance at 18%.

https://www.gov.uk/work-out-capital-all ... -and-pools
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Unless you are using the cash basis, in which case you just include it as an expense.

jpcentral

Postby jpcentral » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:18 am

You definitely can't claim £2,000 per annum for four years. As Pawncob says, the (current) permitted rate is 18% on the reducing balance - £1,440 year 1, £1181 year 2, 968 year 3 etc.

The question becomes whether it is better to use the full £8,000 to reduce your taxable profits this year under the AIA regulations or whether it is better to take the benefit over a number of years? The answer will depend on individual circumstance. On the face of it, if your tax bill is £2,500, using AIA would reduce this by £2,000 but what isn't clear is whether the tax figure quoted is actually for tax or tax plus Class 4 and whether or not it includes payments on account or if it is after previous payments in account have been taken into consideration.

There is actually a third option, namely not taking any WDA but deferring it to a subsequent year.

There is also a call to be made about whether it may be beneficial to have the WDA in subsequent years. This may be relevant if there is a possibility that you could be a higher rate taxpayer in one of the next couple of years.

We would normally have the basic figures in front of us plus an estimate for the next year before giving the client options.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

andye

Postby andye » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks guys just looking to see what my options are and yes £2500 includes my class 4 many apologies for omitting this

Return to “Business Tax”