This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Are domain names limited life assets?

ElisaM
Are domain names limited life assets?

Postby ElisaM » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:13 am

I bought a domain name 10 years ago and forgot about it; the annual renewal cost just kept going on my credit card (something like £5 a year).

I then got an approach out of the blue from a company who bought it for £20k.

I need to declare this on my self assessment. 2 quick questions:

1. I assume if anything this is CGT rather than income tax as it's a personal possession and nothing to do with my day job (correct)?

2. Domain names are actually rented on an annual basis from a domain registrar. You have to pay a renewal fee every year for that year's registration, otherwise the domain is deregistered and someone else can register it. Does this mean it's a limited lifespan asset and except from CGT? https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax-pe ... d-lifespan

bd6759

Re: Are domain names limited life assets?

Postby bd6759 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:52 pm

The exemption described loosely in that linke is the exemptions for chattels. Chattels are tangible moveable objects. A domain name is an intangible asset.

The cost of the domain name was probably nil (unless you bought it from soemone). Your annual fee is a regsitration fee, not a purchase fee.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”