This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

baby blankets 0% rate?

migothka
baby blankets 0% rate?

Postby migothka » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:07 pm

I am going to import baby blankets and sell them in UK. I cannot find information on HMRC website which states that I can apply 0% rate for baby blankets.

There was a similar topic here with information 0% can be applied when baby blanket is smaller than 54". However it was in 2008 and it could be changed since then. Could you please help me? Is there any formal govenment information confirming 0% for small blankets designed for babies? Thank you.

absolutevat

Re: baby blankets 0% rate?

Postby absolutevat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:11 am

Zero rating will not apply to everyday blankets for babies as they are not designed to be worn as clothing. Certain shawls etc. do qualify so it depends on the detail of the product. VAT notice 714, section 2.2.1 is relevant.

Might also be worth looking at the case law in the Snuglbundl case.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”