This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Becoming Non Resident with full time employment Abroad

WWard
Becoming Non Resident with full time employment Abroad

Postby WWard » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

A little bit about me, I am a UK citizen, currently domiciled and resident in the UK. I’ve been working as a pilot for 18 months for a Swiss Company which is based in Zurich on a full time permanent contract, to which I commute from the UK. I’m paid in CHF with SWISS withholding tax paid and I pay UK tax through Self Assessment.

I’m considering a move to Austria to be with my girlfriend and I’m wondering as I have full time employment abroad can I move and at the same time claim non UK resident status providing I spend fewer than 91 days in the UK as shown under the Automatic Overseas Test? Does it matter that I wish to move to Austria and not Switzerland?

Thank you for any guidance.

maths

Re: Becoming Non Resident with full time employment Abroad

Postby maths » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:20 pm

No it doesn't matter from the UK perspective of residence whether you move to Austria or Switzerland.

As you point out, under the third automatic overseas test up to 90 days may be spent in the UK (note there are deeming provisions applicable to this aspect).
However, it may well be that if this number of days is spent in the UK it may be that the "sufficient worked hours overseas" aspect is not met.

You are no doubt aware that there are specific provisions imposing restrictions that may be in point if you fly to the UK and/or from the UK.

WWard

Re: Becoming Non Resident with full time employment Abroad

Postby WWard » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:11 am

Thank you for the reply maths.

I used the HMRC residency test based on my work figures for 16/17 tax year and it shows me as non resident. Luckily my job only brings me to the UK infrequently so shouldn't have an impact. Thanks once again.

Return to “International Tax”