This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

business fuel tax relief

Danv82
business fuel tax relief

Postby Danv82 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:57 pm

Evening everyone, I have a query regards business fuel tax relief,

My scenario is,
Own my own car, which is solely used for business only.
Received car allowance - taxed at source
Have company fuel card,
Can I still claim the 45/25p rates without declaring the fuel card, or do I need to submit P11D, pay tax on it, and then recover fuel tax relief.
I will be travelling roughly 55000 business miles a year

Spoke to three accountants, they agree with the above scenario is correct,
Spoke to two HMRC reps on the phone, both said I'm not able to claim the tax relief as I'm not paying out for fuel so not out of pocket, they then said because I recieve a vehicle allowance I technically don't own the car as not paying for it so still have no costs,

Both HMRC staff didn't really seem to be 100% when they was talking,

Thanks for your help.

bd6759

Re: business fuel tax relief

Postby bd6759 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:03 pm

The car allowance and fuel payments are taxable. The fuel should go on P11D.

You can claim 45p/25p per mile for business miles. HMRC are talking nonsense, but those on the phone lines have no proper training, and get confused if the call handling script does not cover the exact circumstances.

Danv82

Re: business fuel tax relief

Postby Danv82 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and help

Return to “General”