This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buy to let

s.bradford@bristol.a

Postby s.bradford@bristol.a » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:36 am

My wife and I are planning to move house. We are considering letting our present property rather than selling it.

The property has made about 60k in two years, we have a mortgage of about 85k and the house has a value of about 145k. I am interested in the CGT we would have to pay on the equity.

Reading around the subject has lead me to the conclusion that if we were to sell within five years of begining to rent then all the equity would be tax free; am I correct?

Further years gain in price would be exempt for the total of our combined CGT allowances, 14800 this year, am I correct here?

Or could we end up losing more in CGT, meaning that we could be better off selling now, realising the equity and buying a bigger house for ourselves?

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:28 am

The value of the house in future years if you rented it out is combined with the base cost in working out the PPR exemption, so even if the value did not rise in ten years time you could be facing a CGT bill. It is not possible to determine when the tax free period would end, apart from the 36 month rule there is also the annual exemption (a one-off each year, not cumulative) and the leting exemption to consider, along with changes in the legislation.

It really depends on waht your future intentions are and how long you would rent it out for and whether you need the income, but consideration could be given to selling into your own company.

I would be happy to advise further.

Regards.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”