This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying an overseas holiday home

edharte@hotmail.com

Postby edharte@hotmail.com » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:11 am

I am considering buying a holiday home in the Rep of Ireland, which will probably generate some rental income from family/friends at times when I am not using it.

Will the income and any gains on disposal be taxed in the same way as if the holiday home was in the UK ?

Could I be liable to taxation in both countries?

Any general advice on my potential tax position would be useful.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:44 am

You will be liable to tax on the rental income in Ireland, less the allowable proportion of expenses. You may suffer tax deduction at source on the rental income. You may be liable to Irish capital gains tax on disposal.

You will effectively be charged to tax in both countries, although you can deduct Irish tax suffered against any UK liability.

I can put you in touch with an Irish firm who can handle the form filling for Irish tax purposes.

More information can be found on the Irish Revenue website at www.revenue.ie.

Ian McTernan CTA
Chartered Tax Adviser
McTernan Associates Ltd
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Property Taxation”