This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Calculating CGT when only other income is a dividend

coltcc
Calculating CGT when only other income is a dividend

Postby coltcc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi all
Been Googling and getting nowhere on this
My situation for 2016-17: one dividend from my company of £28k
So I calculated my tax liability as: £28k less £11.1k PA less £5k dividend allowance = £11.9k. At 7.5% that's a tax bill of about £900
So far so good (?)
But I also want to sell some assets (not property or shares), realising a capital gain
I am trying to figure out how much capital gain I can realise without tripping into higher tax brackets (I don't mind maxing out the 10% CGT band)
The assets are divisible so I can sell pieces up to some limit, I just can't figure out the limit!
Do I still have my £11k capital gain allowance, so can I sell £11k worth tax-free?
Thanks for any help, much appreciated

MichCat

Re: Calculating CGT when only other income is a dividend

Postby MichCat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:38 pm

You could realise £26,100 and only pay CGT at 10%.

Dividend £28k less personal allowance of £11k = £17k taxable. You have a basic rate band of £32k.

£5k @ 0% dividend allowance
£12k @ 7.5% balance of dividend
£15k @ 10% capital gains (£26.1k less 11.1k allowance)
-------
£32k

coltcc

Postby coltcc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Crystal clear, thank you very much!

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:44 pm

As an aside, although dividends form the top slice of income when considering tax rates, capital gains sit above dividends, and so if you did stray into the HR band you would be charged at 20% rather than 32.5% (assuming that the gains do not arise from residential property).

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”