This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can a house abroad be a "Primary Residence"?

Nowh
Can a house abroad be a "Primary Residence"?

Postby Nowh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 pm

I am a UK Resident for tax. My UK address is my son's. The only house I own is abroad, where I spend most of my time. If I sell it, does it count as my Primary Residence for tax purposes? Presumably I would need to fill in Foreign pages on Tax Return. Or should I emigrate first?

maths

Re: Can a house abroad be a "Primary Residence"?

Postby maths » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:48 pm

In principle an overseas property can constitute a sole or main residence for CGT purposes.

However, if you are UK resident (and have always been so) it may be arguable that the overseas property is not such a residence.

It all depends upon the precise facts.

Nowh

Postby Nowh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Now why am I not surprised that there is no clear answer? Thanks,Maths. I am British-born, always tax-resident in UK, sold UK house, now spend 10+ months abroad (not EC !) in own only house, regard myself as domiciled in UK with children & grandchildren here, and will probably die here. I built the house mostly myself, have little paperwork for materials & labour, so it might look like I made a packet on any sale - not so. Probably just emigrate to avoid complications if HMG want to hassle me.

maths

Postby maths » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Now why am I not surprised that there is no clear answer?
Cynic.

Sounds as if property will qualify as your sole residence; hence no cgt on sale.

You may well not resident in the UK. Have you had your status clarified by any advisor/HMRC?

When did you sell UK house? When did you complete overseas build?

Nowh

Postby Nowh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 pm

I have been advised that I can choose to be UK tax-resident wherever I actually am; I have chosen to be. House sale and new house completion do not overlap.

maths

Postby maths » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:02 pm

No, for UK tax purposes you cannot choose to be resident or not.

It is a matter of tax law.

Nowh

Postby Nowh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:13 pm

OK, thanks. Will take some paid advice. Presumably if I am declared de facto non-resident HMRC will return all paid tax while by tax-law non-resident by return post? :lol:

Return to “Property Taxation”