This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I charge VAT prior to registering?

james@m4corridor.co.

Postby james@m4corridor.co. » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:08 am

Hello

I've just started a consultancy business (sole trader) and am about to register for VAT. However, I need to invoice a client immediately for some costs I've already incurred. These costs will include VAT, but of course I do not yet have a VAT registration number that I can include on the invoice. Is there anyway I can charge VAT to my client prior to registering?

Thanks

James

paultaylor@vatease.c

Postby paultaylor@vatease.c » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:04 am

James,

The simple answer is no. If you are not registered for VAT you cannot charge VAT.

If you have applied to register for VAT and are simply awaiting a VAT registration number then you can invoice without VAT and issue an additional VAT only invoice once you receive your registration.

Regards

Paul Taylor
http://www.vatease.co.uk/

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”