This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I submit rental income tax return on my wife's name?

sunoo
Can I submit rental income tax return on my wife's name?

Postby sunoo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a flat where I am currently living and I have another house which I bought 3 years ago and have had no mortgage on it. Until now I made a loss from rental income due to having a bad tenant which caused me nightmares. However I am expecting to make a profit next year. I am full time employed and salary is in 40% tax bracket. My wife on the other hand do not work at all. Our rental house is on my name.

What would be the best way to stay legal and submit tax return for next year with tax savings?
Is there any legal way if I can utilize all of my Mrs tax free allowance?

Many thanks in advance.

maths

Re: Can I submit rental income tax return on my wife's name?

Postby maths » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Any loss could be carried forward and offset against any future profit; my be no need to transfer.

Return to “Property Taxation”