This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can loss on sale of Guernsey property be offset against UK capital gains?

Chewbacca11
Can loss on sale of Guernsey property be offset against UK capital gains?

Postby Chewbacca11 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Hello. Some advice would be appreciated on the below scenario.

I am a UK non-resident with a residential BTL property in Guernsey which is now on the market. Unfortunately the property will sell at a loss. To date, the property income has been included on Guernsey tax returns only due to being a UK non-resident. I have not other investments or holdings in Guernsey.

However, I am returning to the UK in April at which point I become a UK resident again. 2 possible scenarios - is one more efficient than the other?

1. I sell the property as a non-resident, and declare the loss on my Guernsey tax return only. No CGT.

2. If I sell the property at a loss once I am a UK resident, can the loss be offset against capital gains from UK property should it arise in the next few years? Or should the property loss not be included on my UK self-assessment for 2017/18 at all as there will be no gain to report and I can't offset the overseas loss?

Thanks

maths

Re: Can loss on sale of Guernsey property be offset against UK capital gains?

Postby maths » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Loss arising on sale of Guernsey property if arising whist UK resident can then be offset against gains of the same tax year and any surplus loss unused can be carried forward for offset.

Chewbacca11

Re: Can loss on sale of Guernsey property be offset against UK capital gains?

Postby Chewbacca11 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks Maths. Appreciated. :)

Return to “Property Taxation”