This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains Tax - Gifting

matwils
Capital Gains Tax - Gifting

Postby matwils » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:32 pm

I need to sell some bitcoin bought for £10,000 five years ago and which is now worth £50,000. Bitcoin gains are treated as foreign currency by HMRC and subject to Capital Gains Tax.

I read https://www.taxinsider.co.uk/378-How_to ... fting.html which described how gifting could be used transfer the capital gain to someone else.

After reading the article I wondered about gifting one fifth of my bitcoin to my dad at a cost of £2,000 (i.e. the amount I originally paid for that portion) and he could then sell them at their current market value of £10,000, hence making a capital gain of £8,000. The gain would be less than his annual CGT allowance hence no tax would be applicable.

Is that possible and legal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

maths

Re: Capital Gains Tax - Gifting

Postby maths » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Your gift would itself precipitate a CGT charge on your part.

But, yes, you could gift to father.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Bit missing from above post.

The gift to father is deemed to be made at market value on which you CGT liability is based.

Feedback

Postby Feedback » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 am

Gift to your father on 5th April
Sell the rest on 6th April

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”