This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cash gift

Eeef
Cash gift

Postby Eeef » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:25 am

My parents very kindly want to give me a cash gift of £35k. I understand that it won't be liable for IT as long as they survive the gift for 7 years. However, would I be liable for CGT?

pawncob

Re: Cash gift

Postby pawncob » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 pm

CGT doesn't apply to cash.

Unless they have a potential IHT liability, the seven year term won't apply.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Eeef

Postby Eeef » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 am

Sorry, what do you mean the 7 year term won't apply? Their estate will exceed the £650k allowance, so IHT would be relevant I think, so 7 year term does apply?

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:34 pm

You gift will take the 'first bite' out of their nil rate band (assuming they haven't made gifts exceeding it yet), so while it will have an impact on the overall estate IHT liability your cash will not be taxed (again subject to them still having at least £35k of nil rate band unused) even if they were to pass away within 7 years.

If they do survive the full 7 years the £35k gift will drop out of their calculations.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”