This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT gain on shares

timcooke
CGT gain on shares

Postby timcooke » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:50 am

I have shares in the company I work for that in approx. 3 years time may realise a gain in approx £100k. Is there anyway at this early stage to negate as much of the CGT gain as possible, bearing in mind I'm a higher rate tax payer?

LozaACCS

Re: CGT gain on shares

Postby LozaACCS » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:54 pm

You should first of all ascertain whether the disposal will qualify for entrepreneurs relief and the possibilities for hold over or reinvestment relief.
When you have an idea of the likely rate you could consider a staged disposal to use your annual exemption each year and/or transferring some of the shares to family members with a lower effective rate, a transfer to a spouse will be exempt

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”