This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on death of one of joint holders of portfolio

sigmund
CGT on death of one of joint holders of portfolio

Postby sigmund » Sun May 24, 2015 8:41 pm

My wife and I have a portfolio of unit trusts and OIECs held in our joint names. These are growth funds that we use to realise our tax free CGT allowances each year. If one of us were to die, as the portfolio is held in joint names, it would automatically pass to the survivor.

My question is, if at that stage half of the total portfolio were to be realised by the survivor, would that half be exempt from CGT as I understand that no CGT is normally payable at death?

King_Maker

Re: CGT on death of one of joint holders of portfolio

Postby King_Maker » Sun May 24, 2015 9:05 pm

No, not exempt from CGT.

But as there is likely to be little/no gain, no CGT should be payable.

sigmund

Postby sigmund » Mon May 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Thank you King_Maker. I obviously used the wrong term when I said 'exempt'. What I meant was would the capital gain be calculated from the value of that half of the funds realised at the time of the death or from the value when the funds were first purchased.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Mon May 25, 2015 5:05 pm

It might be a mixture of Trustee and Beneficiary sales might minimise any CGT due.

You would need to crunch the numbers.

maths

Postby maths » Mon May 25, 2015 6:28 pm

The value of the 50% inherited would be market value at the date of death.

Assuming the investments are held as joint tenants (not tenants in common) as is likely then sales by the trustee/executor as mentioned by King-Maker cannot occur.

Often on death the issue arises as to whether subsequent sales should be effected by the executors or the inheriting beneficiaries under the will. However, with assets which pass by
survivorship (i.e. those held as joint tenants) the executors are not involved.

sigmund

Postby sigmund » Tue May 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Thank you both for your replies. This is getting complicated. Basically the situation would be that on my death the joint holdings of funds that I held with my wife would automatically be owned by my wife. If she then wanted to sell half of them (i.e. my share), would any capital gains calculation be based on what was originally paid for the funds or would the capital gains for that half (i.e. my share) be based on the market value of that half as at my death? I hope that this adds some clarification

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue May 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Assuming a joint tenancy, you will inherit your wife's 50% share of the portfolio at its value on the date of her death.

maths

Postby maths » Tue May 26, 2015 8:57 pm

Example

You and wife own jointly 100 shares.

They were purchased for £100.

You die when shares are worth £3 each.

Your wife originally effectively owned 50 shares at a cost of £50.
She inherits your 50 shares worth £150 at your death.

Wife now owns 100 shares with a cost of £50 + £150 = £200 (i.e. £2 each).

Wife sells 50 shares for £300.
Cost of the 50 shares is £2 x 50 = £100.

Gain £200.

In short after your death a pool of shares is created and they cannot be separated out on a sale.

sigmund

Postby sigmund » Wed May 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Thank you very much for the illustrations.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”