This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on joint owned property with father

craigy72
CGT on joint owned property with father

Postby craigy72 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:55 pm

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand if my father will need to pay CGT on a property that we jointly own.

In 2012 me and my father purchased a property in London for 280,000. The deeds were split 50/50. The only reason my father was placed on the deeds was due to the mortgage supplier wanted to guarantor for affordability.

5 years down the line I wish to sell the property to purchase another one. The sale price is 460,000.

My father will be ''gifting' me all of his part of the property. (even though in essence the property is mine, on paper its 50pc his) I can assume this is either by transferring all of the deeds over to me before the sale, or effectively taking the cash and gifting that to me.

The question is, will my father have to pay capital gains tax?
Thanks!

maths

Re: CGT on joint owned property with father

Postby maths » Tue May 16, 2017 7:50 pm

The terminology used is a little unclear.

If your father has no beneficial interest in the property then he is not exposed to any CGT charge; if he has, then he has a CGT exposure.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”