This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on nil value transfer between family members

Seabass888
CGT on nil value transfer between family members

Postby Seabass888 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 am

Basically my gran and auntie own 50:50 of the house me and my mum live in. We're looking at transferring the property to mr, 100% over the next two years. For CGT, will I have to pay CGT on the nil value transfer and the deemed value will be the market value, am I correct?

Purchase price was £230k and current market value is about £310-315k.

On the £80-85k, 'profit' in guessing there will be CGT implications?

Also, as I am due to only receive 50% ownership this year and 50% next year, will the CGT bill be split between these years? (Obviously the market value will also change slightly in that time)

Many thanks for all responses

bd6759

Re: CGT on nil value transfer between family members

Postby bd6759 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:29 am

CGT is paid when you dispose of an asset. You are not liable to any tax on the acquisition of the house, however your gran and aunty might be,

Seabass888

Postby Seabass888 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:18 pm

CGT is paid when you dispose of an asset. You are not liable to any tax on the acquisition of the house, however your gran and aunty might be,
I would probably be asked to pay it on their behalf, am I allowed to do that? Or would I need to send them money, and if I did something like that would they then be liable to pay income tax on it? Or can I pay the revenue directly their tax bill?

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 pm

You would effectively be gifting the money to them, which doesn't have income tax consequences, but may have IHT consequences if you die within 7 years (it's treated as added back to your estate).
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

someone

Postby someone » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:03 am

The CGT is charged in the year that the disposal happens. So yes, if you do it over two (tax) years then the CGT bill will be split.

Assuming your gran and auntie both have no other disposals then they will each have a 11K CGT allowance. Not sure how you're intending to do the two transfers but if each give 25% (half of their respective share) in each tax year then there will be four lots of CGT allowance to reduce the CGT bill.

Have either of them ever lived in the property as their main home? If so that will reduce their CGT bill further.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”