This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on real property- non resident

SDLT23
CGT on real property- non resident

Postby SDLT23 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:59 pm

My sister and I are joint tenants of a UK house. It is currently (and will continue to be) occupied by our mother.

I do not live there (so will be liable to CGT on my share of the proceeds if and when sold).

It was until very recently my sister's only/main residence - but she has just moved abroad permanently.

Will she have to pay UK CGT on her share of the proceeds (if and when sold)? Any recommended steps to mitigate any such CGT liability?

maths

Re: CGT on real property- non resident

Postby maths » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:14 pm

The UK now levies UK CGT on UK residential property disposed of by non-UK residents.

Hence your sister will in principle be liable to UK CGT on a disposal.The liability in principle is based on market value on sale less market value as at 5 April 2015 (at 18% and/or 28%).
However, as she has lived in the property she will be eligible for some private residence relief and an annual exempt amount of £11,100.

Return to “Property Taxation”