This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT On Splitting A Property

TM100
CGT On Splitting A Property

Postby TM100 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi

I'm thinking of splitting my main residence into 2 separate properties but before I do, I would welcome any advice on what CGT I would become liable for.

The property is currently valued at approximately £800k and once split would create 2 properties valued at £550k & £400k. Once the properties have been split I will be looking to sell both and purchase somewhere else.

I would appreciate any advice on how this would be assessed for capital gains.

Thanks

maths

Re: CGT On Splitting A Property

Postby maths » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Assuming you have always lived in the property then on a disposal no CGT arises.

You appear to want to develop the property by converting into two flats then selling both.

Effectively, your home will be appropriated to a business (ie you developing the property) at its current market value (no CGT). On sale of flats any "profit" will be subject to income tax, not CGT as you will effectively be trading.

TM100

Re: CGT On Splitting A Property

Postby TM100 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks Maths for the reply

Can I just check then if disposal of the properties would be treated as profit and therefore subject to income tax that the profit would be split between my wife and I as the property is held in joint names.

I am already a higher rate taxpayer, but my wife is a basic rate taxpayer so could I sell each property in different tax years to reduce the amount of tax she would have to pay

Thanks

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”