This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on the sale of a self-build furnished holiday let

davesturgess
CGT on the sale of a self-build furnished holiday let

Postby davesturgess » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:12 am

In 1999 I bought the plot next to our house and built a 3 bed property on it with the intention of holiday letting. We have done this successfully for 17 years and now want to sell. I did most of the work myself and have only found some of the receipts of the materials I used. The plot was bought for just £8000 because of an access problem which we resolved. In total I can only prove total costs of £14,500!! The property was valued in its first year at £75,000 and it is now worth £225,000. HMRC have told me I am liable for CGT on a gain of £212,500, which is absolutely ridiculous . They wont accept the £75000 valuation made in 2000 as it includes my labour.! Is there anything I can do to decrease this massive perceived gain?

maths

Re: CGT on the sale of a self-build furnished holiday let

Postby maths » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:01 pm

The capital gain is the difference between disposal proceeds less deductible costs (the latter not including one's own labour).

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”