This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT relief while refurbishment going on

NeilH
CGT relief while refurbishment going on

Postby NeilH » Sat May 12, 2012 12:56 am

Hi i wonder if anyone can help on this - i own a rental house which as bought about 13 years ago, At the time of purchase i already owned my own home on which was beginning a process of refurbishment/extension. The idea was id live in the newly bought investment house for 7-12 months while the works completed, then move back into my orignal home and rent the investment house.
question is , does this 7-12 months of occupation count for a PPR relief claim for when i sell it? i owned two homes at the same time, but couldnt really live in my regualr one due to the refurb.

thanks in advance

mullet

Re: CGT relief while refurbishment going on

Postby mullet » Sat May 12, 2012 8:16 am

does this 7-12 months of occupation count for a PPR relief claim for when i sell it
No. Because you occupied the investment property for a temporary purpose and returned to your original home. I realise that your original home was uninhabitable, but that does not trigger relief for your investment property.

Peter D

Re: CGT relief while refurbishment going on

Postby Peter D » Sat May 12, 2012 11:55 am

I concur. Temporary residence with no intention of making it your permanent home. Regards Peter

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”