This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Change of PPR on disposal of let property to avoid SDLT

Cloisters
Change of PPR on disposal of let property to avoid SDLT

Postby Cloisters » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:52 pm

My question is can I change my PPR when I sell a property even if I still use the one currently declared as my PPR.

Here is the case in detail.

I own three properties A and B and C.

A is my PPR. B and C are currently individually let and I have never lived in them.

In the future I wish to sell B and C and buy a new property D as my new PPR but NOT sell A (at least within the 18 month allowance window as I wish to live between both).

If I simply do that I will incur significant Stamp duty on the purchase of D as a second home under the new SDLT rules.

The GOV website says I can move my PPR every time my "combination of homes changes".

So, my idea is to sell C and move into B and within a two year time frame and change my PPR election to B - even though I still spend some time at A.

Then I buy D and sell B (my new PPR) and claim the SDLT tax back (assuming I can't coincide the move from B to D).

This means D is my new PPR and I have A as my second home which I might later sell.

Opinions please? Many thanks in advance.

maths

Re: Change of PPR on disposal of let property to avoid SDLT

Postby maths » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:08 pm

You seem to be confusing CGT and SDLT.

The 18 month period to which you refer is relevant for CGT not SDLT.

In addition, you cannot choose between two residences which is your main one for SDLT purposes.

If de facto B is your main residence for SDLT and it is sold pre or post acquisition of D (your new residence) then no 3% charge (or it's refunded).

bibescu

Re: Change of PPR on disposal of let property to avoid SDLT

Postby bibescu » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:29 pm

The 18 month period to which you refer is relevant for CGT not SDLT.

I think he referred to ,, so long as you sell Home within 36 months (increased from 18 months in the March 2016 Budget) of completing on the purchase, HMRC will make a full refund.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”