This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Charitable Donations and Losses

Lambs
Charitable Donations and Losses

Postby Lambs » Wed May 24, 2017 10:59 am

Hi,

Anyone disagree with the general understanding that charitable donations can be relieved only after all other losses relieved except for Group Relief?

Specifically, that trading losses carried back to the previous AP must cover all trading profits in that earlier AP and effectively displace any relief for charitable donations previously given in that earlier AP - a potential "waste of losses", but tough (if you want to make the claim).

From dim and distant memory, this was a distinguishing feature between old "trade charges", which were NOT displaced by trading losses brought back, and "non-trade charges", (such as charitable donations in the 'old' regime), which were.

I'd be grateful to know if anyone agrees / disagrees.

With thanks and regards,

Lambs

maths

Re: Charitable Donations and Losses

Postby maths » Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Bit (or a lot!) out of my depth.

My understanding is that qualifying charitable donations made by a company rank as a deduction from total profits in computing corporation tax after all other forms of corporation tax relief have been utilised apart from group relief [CTA 2010 s189].

Charitable donations cannot be added to a company's trading losses [CTA 2010 s189].

Not sure if this deals with your point.

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Maths,

Thank you for your reply. I think we are in accord.

Kind regards,

Lambs

maths

Postby maths » Wed May 24, 2017 10:18 pm

When are we not ?????

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 pm

I'll find something, don't worry.

Best,

Lambs