This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Commercial property sale CGT rate please

Kiran
Commercial property sale CGT rate please

Postby Kiran » Fri May 19, 2017 4:12 pm

A lady carried out a trade from a shop premises as a hair dresser, owned the shop for many years. Then she retired and leased that shop for past 15 years (tenant – hair and beauty saloon – no residential flat , pure commercial trade..). Some 6 years back she added her husband’s name as a joint owner. Now they are trying to sell the premises.

I think, entrepreneur relief should be allowed and CGT should be at 10%. She gifted half ownership to her husband (who never carried out any trade there), should not make any problem. Capital gain is – original cost less sale proceeds (net of allowable expenses), because gift transfer was between husband and wife, no concern about valuation at the date of gift.
Am I thinking correctly? Please advise.
Also, if any example in taxation manual kindly quote.
Many thanks. K.

bd6759

Re: Commercial property sale CGT rate please

Postby bd6759 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Why do you think ER will apply to the disposal?

Kiran

Re: Commercial property sale CGT rate please

Postby Kiran » Fri May 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Sorry, I got it all wrong, didn't I? Property is sold which is commercially let. No relief due. The tax will be at 10% ( up to basic rate limit) and then at 20%, and none at higher rate, because this is not a residential property. (Business ceased many years ago so no ER due.) Tax will be payable by 31 Jan 2019 if sold in a couple of months. Am I correct now?
Please guide. Thanks.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”