This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company director & Self-employed

Dimi
Company director & Self-employed

Postby Dimi » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:06 pm

First inquiry: I am director of my company since January 2015 (active company, 0.00 balance) and recently I've done two jobs (reports) for a client in nov 2015 and jan 2016.

I dont want to use my company to invoice these two jobs, but as an individual (those two jobs sum up to £9,000).

Is there any conflict regarding the HMRC? I am currently registered in HMRC as a company director (I dont have to pay corporation tax for this year, as 0.00 balance) and as an individual (by mistake I've used the same UTR for both registrations, should I take action for that? I've already called HMRC reporting this issue).

Do I have to register as a self-employed?

Second inquiry: Do I have to fill a self assessment for 2014-2015, or this should be for the next year?

I'll ring my local tax office soon, however Im trying to gather as much information possible before proceed.

Thanks in advance
Dimi

bd6759

Re: Company director & Self-employed

Postby bd6759 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Tax is paid by the entity that earns the profits. You cannot simply choose to "put income through a company" or not depending on what takes your fancy.

If the company was contracted to provide these services, the income belongs to the company.

If you were contracted to provide the services, the income belongs to you.

You really need to make you mind up and stick to one or the other, otherwise you are going to get yourself into a mess.

Dimi

Re: Company director & Self-employed

Postby Dimi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi,

Yes this is clear, I'll go for the services that I've been hired, as an individual, not as a company.

However, I have my company active cause in the near future there is going to be some activity in it, as it offers different type of services. So, I am not sure whether I can use both situations (company and individual) offering those different type of services.

Thanks
Dimi

Return to “General”