This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Completing a C285 for import tax repayment

emmas28
Completing a C285 for import tax repayment

Postby emmas28 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi, I am trying to complete a C285 form to reclaim a customs charge that was put on a mislabelled item which I sent to the UK. The item was purchased in the UK and therefor the relevant taxes paid was had to be returned as it was faulty. The DHL office in Korea didn't label the item as personal and so HMRC and DHL have put a customs charge on. I spoke to a HMRC representative who told me to complete a C285 form.
I cannot complete the form as I am an individual and not tax registered company and do not possess the required information which the form demands.
How does one go about claiming a refund if they're not a VAT registered business?

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”