This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Development land gift

jvaughan90
Development land gift

Postby jvaughan90 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:54 am

Hi, just after a little bit of advice.

I have a piece of land that currently has an option agreement with a developer. The land was a gift to me and my sister from my father over 25 years ago. The developer thinks we will have planning permission on the land within 6-9 months, I was wondering if there is anyway for us to save on the big tax bill we will receive when the land sells.

Is it possible to gift the land to both of my sons so less tax is paid?

Or any other possible avenues to go down?

Thanks in advance for any advice

maths

Re: Development land gift

Postby maths » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Is it possible to gift the land to both of my sons so less tax is paid?
Not really. The land has development potential and any gift by you to sons will be based on market value which would include this development potential and so you will not save any CGT. Had the gift been made some years ago then possibly some CGT would have been saved.

A gift to your spouse might be considered but if the option agreement has already been signed this route is unlikely to succeed this late in the day.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”