This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Disposal of a Gifted House

Andyward
Disposal of a Gifted House

Postby Andyward » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:39 am

I think this be straightforward . . .

My Son gifted a house he owned outright to my Wife in 2012 which she now wants to dispose of to fund a house move to a new area - am I right to believe that provided my Son continues to live until at least 7 years after the gift was made there will be no tax liability arising from the disposal in the meantime? Is this correct? Thanks

Peter D

Re: Disposal of a Gifted House

Postby Peter D » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:49 am

What you are referring to if his IHT. Your wife will have a CGT issue on disposing of the property, assuming it has gone up in value. What have you been doing with the property. Regards Peter

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:20 pm

You are correct as regards IHT, the gift is a PET (eligible for the AE) and falls out of charge after 7 years, this is supposing that the son does not derive any benefit from the gifted property.

The gift was a chargeable occasion for CGT (the deemed consideration being the market value at that time), hold over relief would not have been available.

Andyward

Postby Andyward » Thu May 05, 2016 6:11 am

Thanks for the replies - Peter, the house has been rented out since the gifting in 2012 with the income being declared via HMRC online Self-Assessment for my wife. She had a local Estate Agent declare a value at the time of the gift so repeating the exercise on disposal should determine the CGT liability.

Overall, were she to dispose of the asset then provided any capital gain is within her personal allowance and my son survives the gifting by seven years there should be no net tax liability arising from the transaction.

Please advise if I've missed anything.

Return to “General”