This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dividends received by a small company

spike418
Dividends received by a small company

Postby spike418 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:29 am

Good morning.

I have just taken on a new client who has a stack of shares in the same UK plc.

He and his wife have no other income using up their personal allowances.

The shareholdings could be sold at a loss due to the current value.

I am considering them selling the shares to a newco of which they would be the only directors.
The sale would obviously be at market value and create a significant loan from the directors which could be drawn down at will free of charge.
Dividends could be taken from the new coy up to the personal allowance and 0% band of £5000.
The dividends received by newco would not be subject to CT.
Obviously there would be a potential annual loss of CGT exemption each year.
The loss on sale would be a "clogged loss".

Subject to that, am I missing anything?

SteLacca

Re: Dividends received by a small company

Postby SteLacca » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:14 pm

You are also talking about retained profits in newco, though, which will be subject to CGT at the full rate on eventual liquidation (investment company and so no ER available). Effectively gambling on future CGT rates.

Also consider of SDLT will be payable by newco on acquisition.

Return to “Company Taxation”