This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I need to pay tax on prize money?

plc

Postby plc » Thu May 22, 2008 8:07 am

I have recently been informed that I have won £5,000 in a television competition that I entered on the internet. The competition was a simple question which required a choice of A-B-C as answers.

I am led to believe that I am not required to pay tax on the winnings, as I'm not employed by the television company in question and have an unconnected full-time job, but would like some reassurance just in case a bill for £2,000 lands on my doormat...

Thanks in advance.

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Thu May 22, 2008 8:56 am

Despite the fact that there is some pretence at an exercise of skill, there is no tax on prize winnings unless they come about as a result of your employment or self employment (literary prizes may be taxable, for instance). In your case there is no problem.

Return to “Income Tax”