This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do we charge VAT?

neil_park
Do we charge VAT?

Postby neil_park » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:28 pm

I have a warehouse in the UK.
I use it to stock products that are owned by our American partner with a view to supplying the UK and Europe with faster lead times.
When the stock arrived in the UK I was charged 20% VAT which I paid and claimed back. However I never actually bought the stock.
Now a customer wants to buy the product based in the UK, the stock is sent by me in the UK, but the invoice comes from the factory in the USA. Effectively we rent out warehouse space to them as we work for them as sales agents.
Do we charge the customer VAT? we have already paid it on entry to the UK and claimed it back, so it is almost like starting afresh, but the invoice comes from the factory in the

absolutevat

Re: Do we charge VAT?

Postby absolutevat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:49 am

Neil

From what you say, it sounds like all of the sales of goods are made in the name of the US co. (i.e. they are the legal owner of the goods). Accordingly, the responsibility for charging output tax will be on the US co. Of course, the status and location of the customer will dictate if UK VAT is due on the supply. If the supply is B2C it will be (subject to distance selling thresholds), however if the supply is B2B and the customers EU VAT number is obtained, no VAT will be due.

In terms of the import, I assume that you act as the importer of record and use your UK EORI number, and subsequently receive the C79?

neil_park

Postby neil_park » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:17 am

Hi, thanks for coming back to me.
Yes it was our EORI number and we received the certificate from HMCE.
Shipping to Europe yes no VAT will be charged but we are unsure about the UK.
This is a new situation for us so we want to ensure the process is correct.
Should the US invoice have VAT on when shipping to customers in the UK with the goods in the UK warehouse?
All sales are B2B

Thanks

absolutevat

Postby absolutevat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:29 am

Hi Neil

Yes, UK VAT will be due on the sales of goods made from the UK warehouse, where the goods remain within the UK. There is a reverse charge for certain suppliers (under which the customer accounts for VAT), but that only applies in very limited circumstances.

Thanks

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”