This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Doing business in the U.K.

mackro
Doing business in the U.K.

Postby mackro » Thu May 11, 2017 7:50 am

Hello

I have a USA based corporation and potentially a client here in the UK. They will want me to work in their office 3 weeks out of every 6 and I'll be bouncing back and forth between London and California. I won't have a business office here just working onsite at theirs (IT consulting). I have a Tier 1 visa and can work in any capacity here in the U.K.

Anyone know if I need to or should set up a U.K. Limited company to funnel that work through? Do I need to charge and pay VAT? Is the VAT submitted only on profit or total billing?

I will be renting short term to have a place to live while I'm here instead of staying in hotels or airbnb. I don't anticipate that there will be much 'profit' as the expenses of getting back and forth and rental here will eat up much of that and the rest will go to my salary and other business expenses paid back in the US.

Anyone out there have to deal with this that has any recommendations? Thanks for any help you can give.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Doing business in the U.K.

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu May 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi

Doing business in the UK is much easier than doing business in the US

You will not have a permanent establishment so you can just invoice your client from the US

However "possibly" you may need to register for VAT under non UK Established businesses

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Company Taxation”