This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EMI Tax Exempt - Transfer from UK to US entity

DavidZ
EMI Tax Exempt - Transfer from UK to US entity

Postby DavidZ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 pm

hope someone will be able to help.

When joined the company 3.5 years ago, I was issued employee stock options. Recently the company has been acquired by a publicly traded company and employees were able to exercise their vested stocks. Since parent organization is now publicly trading company, I can exercise my stocks and benefit from tax relief.

I am being transferred from the UK company to the US about a week before the trading window opens and can't sell my stocks while employed by the UK entity. Does it mean that if I sell my stocks 10 days later and already be employed by the US entity, I will have to pay US capital gain tax and will lose EMI tax relief?

Return to “Income Tax”