This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

employed and self employed versus employed and Ltd Company

Ironbones
employed and self employed versus employed and Ltd Company

Postby Ironbones » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 am

Hi

I am employed earning £27500, I also work self employed as well started a couple of months back.

I was advised to set up a Ltd company as this would keep things tidy, which I have done. I`m beginning to wonder if this is the best advice as I estimate bring in around £10`000 in the first year and most of this will need to put back into the business. I reckon the same thing in year two.

My question is regarding my tax position would I be in better position if sole trader/self employed, would I be able to claim a tax refund against my employed income? Also I plan to take further training to to benefit my self employed business costing around £3000 per year for three years.

Can any one please help me, any help will be appreciated.

Regards

RMC

Re: employed and self employed versus employed and Ltd Company

Postby RMC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:59 pm

You can either:
1. have the company struck off by completing form DS01 or
2. inform HMRC that it is not carrying on a business, don’t do any Companies House filing and wait for CH to strike it off.

Trading through the company is not recommended.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi

Irrespective of the tax situation, in some professions a limited company would be advisable due to the risk involved e.g electrician.

There are other reasons why a limited company maybe the better option.

Remember Corporation Tax will fall to 17% and may fall further

Kind Regards

GTA

Ironbones

Postby Ironbones » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi

Thanks for your replies, so I take it I can bundle both both self employed and employed tax together. Perhaps giving me an advantage if I know business profits are going to be zero? If my expenses for the business are greater than my profit, due to expansion and investment back into the business would I be able to claim some/part of this against my employed tax.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:22 pm

As a self-employed person, the costs of training are unlikely to be an allowable expense.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Yes you can carry back the loss and set against previous years income

Return to “Income Tax”