This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EU Sales list

eb321
EU Sales list

Postby eb321 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Could I get a little advice please.
Via eBay, I have sold an item to a Belgium VAT registered business. After paying, they provided me with their VAT number and asked for a VAT invoice.
The problem is that they have used the eBay "Global Shipping Program".
I have only received payment for the goods. No payment received for shipping. I am only required to post the item to the eBay shipping center in the UK.
The buyer has paid eBay and a third party company to transport the goods from the UK to their final address in Belgium (although the payment was all together and the customer was thought that I was doing it all).
As I understand it, I cannot zero-rate because I will not have the evidence that it left the UK.
So am I right in thinking that:
- I charge 20% UK VAT
- I send an invoice with the billing address as the Belgium address, and the shipping address as the eBay UK forwarding address.
- I complete the EU Sales List
- The buyer can reclaim the VAT via the 8th directive, through the Belgium authorities
Have I got this right?
Thanks in advance

eb321

Re: EU Sales list

Postby eb321 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:32 am

Can anyone advise please? eBay have said that they will provide a tracking number that shows delivery in Belgium, but they can't provide the equivalent of a Certificate of Posting. My Post Office receipt shows the UK address.
If I charge UK VAT because I don't have proof of export, then do I still complete the ECSL?
Or could I zero rate it, with just the tracking number as evidence?

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”