This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Expat tax question

dudave
Expat tax question

Postby dudave » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Hello,

Next tax year I will not be living in the UK anymore, the country i'm moving to I will not be paying any tax on any income that is not earned in that country. I will be working for 3 companies in the US, in Canada and in the UK. Will I need to pay tax on those incomes in the UK? Thanks in advance!

maths

Re: Expat tax question

Postby maths » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Assuming you become non-UK resident then the only exposure to UK income tax will be in relation to any salary received attributable to UK duties.

Depending upon your territory of residence it may even be that this UK income tax is avoidable under a relevant double tax treaty.

dudave

Postby dudave » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. So according to this, the job for the UK company should still be taxable I assume, as this is a service that is given mainly to people in the UK via the internet?

Regarding the other jobs that are not from the UK, I could still use my bank account in the UK to get paid, without paying any tax?

Thank you!

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:38 am

Are you working for a group of companies or are you self employed and working for three different companies.

If you are an employee then your employer will take care of the taxes, If you are working for three different companies then you may consider setting up a company yourself in the country of residence and invoicing the three companies in US, UK and Canada

Kind Regards

GTA

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Assuming you are a non-UK resident but have business days in the UK, Canada or the US; each of these countries might expect you to file local tax returns and pay local tax and social charges.

Return to “Income Tax”