This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Extra 3% causing a headache

MKELLY3
Extra 3% causing a headache

Postby MKELLY3 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:00 am

Hi,

Wonder if you could help get things straight for us?

We are currently renting & wanting to buy our main residence. We have owned our own house before but sold 5 years ago.

We also have a house we rent out & own with my brother-in law and his wife so all have 25% share each we have had this for 10 years and have never lived it in, its market value is only approx 35-40k

Would we be liable for the extra 3%

Regards

Marie

maths

Re: Extra 3% causing a headache

Postby maths » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:40 pm

On the basis you intend to occupy the new property purchase as your only/main residence and you purchase on or before 25 November 2018 then the 3% charge will not apply.

MKELLY3

Postby MKELLY3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Thank you I have spoken with 3 different solicitors now 2 say I would have to pay one says not, I think I will go with the one that agrees with me :)

maths

Postby maths » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Where a solicitor advises that the 3% is payable simply ask him/her for their legislative authority.

cs95tdg

Postby cs95tdg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:40 pm

On the basis you intend to occupy the new property purchase as your only/main residence and you purchase on or before 25 November 2018 then the 3% charge will not apply.
I've been reading the information published under the gov website in order to understand what SDLT I would be liable to pay depending on the option chosen. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty- ... l-property

The 3 options I'm contemplating are listed under the CGT forum topic below.

http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/indi ... 51235.html

Reading your advice here, am I correct in understanding that if my sister & I decide to rent the property I currently reside in (jointly owned - title deed) as my main residence, I would not be liable to pay the additional 3% SDLT if I purchase & move into my new main residence (even though I would be listed on two title deeds) ? This in effect would be a change in main residence for me.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 am

Reading your advice here, am I correct in understanding that if my sister & I decide to rent the property I currently reside in (jointly owned - title deed) as my main residence, I would not be liable to pay the additional 3% SDLT if I purchase & move into my new main residence (even though I would be listed on two title deeds) ? This in effect would be a change in main residence for me.
1. Do not hijack another thread
2. Do not expect contributors to go searching another thread for information that might spply to you
3. No you are not correct. If you are not disposing of your previous residence, the 3% will apply.

cs95tdg

Postby cs95tdg » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:46 pm

1. Do not hijack another thread
2. Do not expect contributors to go searching another thread for information that might spply to you
3. No you are not correct. If you are not disposing of your previous residence, the 3% will apply.
Apologies, I did not intend to hijack this thread, but thought the question was quite similar to what I had, so raised it here. I will make sure I create a separate topic for any future questions. I realise now that the link I included to my original post wasn't hyperlinked (Am new to this forum so again can only apologise). Appreciate you correcting my interpretation.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”