This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Flat rate scheme; first year 1% bonus now ending...

TaxLobster
Flat rate scheme; first year 1% bonus now ending...

Postby TaxLobster » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm a sole trader who registered for the flat-rate VAT scheme last year, and so up till now have been paying my VAT to HMRC at 1% less than my normal rate. I understand from https://www.gov.uk/vat-flat-rate-scheme ... ch-you-pay that "the reduced rate lasts until the day before your registration anniversary", which in my case is 1 Oct 2016. Now, my next quarterly VAT submission is due on 31 October, and I can see that will include seven invoices dated before 1 Oct and four dated afterwards.

So, when I do my next online submission, do I calculate two figures for my "VAT due on sales", ie for invoices before and after 1 Oct, and then add these together before entering the total in Box 1? Is that the correct procedure? If so, that must surely mean that HMRC can't check if it's correct, as they wouldn't know how my sales were spread across the 1 Oct anniversary date, which makes me think it may be the wrong method?

Thanks!

RMC

Re: Flat rate scheme; first year 1% bonus now ending...

Postby RMC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:15 pm

HMRC computer keeps a watchful eye on things and if the flat rate VAT payable percentage is not somewhere between the full and reduced FRS VAT rate it will tell HMRC officers to sort you out.

TaxLobster

Postby TaxLobster » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:38 pm

HMRC computer keeps a watchful eye on things and if the flat rate VAT payable percentage is not somewhere between the full and reduced FRS VAT rate it will tell HMRC officers to sort you out.
So you're saying that I do indeed need to calculate the figures for pre- and post- 1 October separately, then?

RMC

Postby RMC » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:37 am

Yes - use FRS percentages appropriate to sales invoice dates.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”