This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Frantic Freda - Inherited American Annuity

DavidTreitel
Frantic Freda - Inherited American Annuity

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Any suggestions welcomed. Freda is a long-term UK resident and is subject to UK tax on the arising basis.

Freda's mother died in America last year and left a US tax-deferred annuity contract to Freda.

The value has been annuitized following mother's death and is being paid out to Freda over the next 5 years in equal annual annuity instalments. This is a decent description of how US tax deferred annuities are structured: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/deferredannuity.asp.

In the past where I have seen these purchased by UK residents, I have seen HMRC arguing that withdrawals by the original investor are taxed in the same way as any other non-UK qualifying investment bond; so that surrenders of up to 5% of the original investment are not taxable.

In Freda's case, the policy has been inherited rather than purchased - I am unsure what tax Freda might owe on the 5 annual instalments. Could it be UK CGT? UK income tax; if so on what amount or percentage? ??? :)

Return to “International Tax”