This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Futures trading - income tax or CGT?

philly
Futures trading - income tax or CGT?

Postby philly » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 am

I work 15 hours per week in a regular job. From Mon to Fri I engage in futures (derivative contracts) day trading in the financial markets, entering into numerous transactions on a daily basis.
My income from the regular job covers all my monthly living expenses, although I do make some small withdrawals from my futures account as well. In the past years I have accumulated quite a significant CGT loss.

Is my futures trading taxed under CGT, or income tax? If I stopped my regular job, how does this affect taxation of my futures trading?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”