This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gifting monies to daughters

YTSS
Gifting monies to daughters

Postby YTSS » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:02 am

Hi

Would anybody be available to advise on the potential IHT liabilities for the following.
Myelf and my wife are planning to release money from our mortgage free house by remortgaging for approx. 250k.
This money will be given to our 2 daughters to purchase a house.
Is it a straightforward PET and tax only payable if one or both parents die.
If 1 parent dies (money gifted by both) what would the tax implications be. Is the money gifted by both parents or both?
What would the best way of the above being done to avoid as much tax as possible

Thanks

YTSS

Re: Gifting monies to daughters

Postby YTSS » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:24 am

I forgot to say on my post. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a number of years, so there is the possibility of here not surviving the 7 years. Does it matter who gifts the money to children. Is it best for one or both, does it make any difference. Maybe a strange question, but how is HMRC made aware of the gift and whether tax is paid etc

maths

Re: Gifting monies to daughters

Postby maths » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Why are you raising this issue again when it was raised by you in your other post?

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”