This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gifting property to a spouse

sjgower1
Gifting property to a spouse

Postby sjgower1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi all,

This is general question about gifting property to one's spouse. I own a flat which is rented out 100% in my name and pay 45% income tax. My wife, for next year at least will be on basic rate. As I understand it I could gift the flat to her at no cost and no SDLT would be payable unless the mortgage transfers with it in which case SDLT would be payable on the mortgage amount. Have I got this right? My follow on question is how is the CGT treated for me and in the future for my wife? If I sold the flat in the open market today I would currently pay no CGT because I have only held it as an investment for 1 year and previously lived in it for 10 years, but if my wife takes it at no cost what could her future liability be?

thanks!!

pawncob

Re: Gifting property to a spouse

Postby pawncob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:27 am

She inherits your history. No CGT between H and W.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:09 am

She inherits your history. No CGT between H and W.
Husband is treated as disposing of the property at a value which does not give rise to a gain or a loss. Wife aquires the property at same value. In most cases this will be the original cost.

In this case, residence reief will be lost because wife did not own property whist is was her residence.

Tingly

Postby Tingly » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Just to add to this though- will the wife have to pay stamp duty?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:54 pm

Just to add to this though- will the wife have to pay stamp duty?
That's covered in the OP. SDLT is only an issue if the wife becomes responsible for part of the mortgage. Of course, without being responsibe for the mortgage, the interest will not be an allowable deduction.

Return to “Property Taxation”