This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

hobby job earning £6k profit pa - sole trader or Ltd Co?

musbus
hobby job earning £6k profit pa - sole trader or Ltd Co?

Postby musbus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:49 am

Hi everybody, I'm really stuck and I don't know what to do......
I'm a qualified hypnotherapist, and I have a practise in which I offer hypnotherapy every Saturday. After room rental, I make £38 per appointment and see on average two or three people every week.
During the week, I have a main job in which I earn £62k per annum. Over time, I would like to expand the hypno business.
I know that the hypnotherapy business is not huge, but nevertheless, I want to avoid a tax man knock on the door and want to keep things safe and legal.
I've been too-ing and fro-ing on how to make this the most tax efficient - sole trader or Ltd Co? but the more I investigate the more confused I get.
Additional info - I pay about £200 per year in insurance and professional memberships, £100 on printing, and perhaps £300 on advertising.
Any advice gratefully received
Paul

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: hobby job earning £6k profit pa - sole trader or Ltd Co?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi

You will end up paying less Tax through a Limited company. The 5K dividend allowance (which will be reduce to 2K) should ensure only pay 19% tax based on your current earnings

There are other non financial reasons why a Limited company maybe preferably i.e limited liability

Kind Rregards

GTA

Return to “Company Taxation”