This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How long to HMRC question my self assessment for non complete figures

corematrix
How long to HMRC question my self assessment for non complete figures

Postby corematrix » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:49 am

So I had to submit a self assignment with figures that were not 100% correct. I had a good reason for this and stated my reasons on the form. The reason was due to my employee not giving me a P11D so i couldn't submit my benefit in kind values for a lot of the stuff i get through work.

How long would you expect it to take until HMRC chase up on that?

robbob

Re: How long to HMRC question my self assessment for non complete figures

Postby robbob » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Hello corematrix

I would expect hmrc to confirm the P11D figures they have on their system over the phone, so i would recommending clarifying with them what information they hold and amending your return to match those figures if you are in agreement with what they give you.

With regard to the return, the timeframe could be anything from very quickly to never - i would be trending towards the never, unless their figures are higher - even then with some systems it can take hmrc years to ask questions, unfortunately i don't have any recent example that would give me some indication as to whether its one of the few things that the computer picks up on quickly.

If hmrc have nothing on their system i would be surprised if you hear back from them ever in regard to the information you have provided.

Final note i would expect if hmrc have correct figures they could use this as an excuse to make an enquiry after the normal 12 months window when it shuts, but this would probably depend on the specifics of what you provided on the return. Normally if you have provided everything relevant then after 12 months that should be it - although it may not be the case here as the reason below seems weak if hmrc have the correct details
The reason was due to my employee not giving me a P11D so i couldn't submit my benefit in kind values for a lot of the stuff i get through work.

corematrix

Re: How long to HMRC question my self assessment for non complete figures

Postby corematrix » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:40 pm

My company was bought by another and the original company never provided us with P11Ds so i still don't have it for that tax year.
On the tax for i said "These numbers are to the best of my knowledge. Weather i do or do not have any BIK to pay tax on is a question in debate between me and my employer"

Return to “General”