This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income over tax years.

siggytax
Income over tax years.

Postby siggytax » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Hello,

I earn a regular salary in addition to some casual freelance stuff. My question is, I completed work for a company between October and March 2015, and they didn't end up paying me until mid June 2016.

Do I have to declare this as income for the 2016-2017 tax year, or can I declare for 2015-2016 tax year? I will take another freelance job at the end of 2017 which will unfortunately increase my taxable income, so I'd like to declare for when I actually did the work.

Am I able to do this?

On another note, is it possible to make tax deduction claims which will be deducted from my 'employee' earnings in addition to my freelance earnings? Or will this simply be disregarded on my tax return as it is separate from my business?

Many thanks for any assistance.

LozaACCS

Re: Income over tax years.

Postby LozaACCS » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Unless you made an election to be taxed on the cash receipts basis then the income should have been declared in 14/15

siggytax

Re: Income over tax years.

Postby siggytax » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Many thanks for your reply Loza,

This was a typo in my first sentence, should have read October 2015-March 2016.

I will declare for the 15-16 tax year in this case.

Kind Regards,

Return to “Income Tax”